Friday, December 22, 2006

Over Indulge



I know it's Christmas and everyone is snivelling with disgust because it seems every year it seems to get bigger, more expensive, louder and crazier than the last. We all worry that maybe we have forgotten the true meaning of Christmas ( if there is one at all). We all look shocked when the decorations in stores started coming out in November. Oh Goodness, aren't we all getting so materialistic...... Are the kids watching too much TV??? Are they eating too many chocolates?? Are they too big to have a dummy?? Should the girls really be watching Barbie??V McDonald's happy toys are just such a marketing ploy!!! NO SHIT!

The gracious thing to do would be to donate money to charity this Christmas instead of presents..... Give our time to feeding the homeless on Christmas Day instead of shovelling mouthfuls of fattening food into our tummies that cost us triple the amount of money we would normally spend on food. Attempt to tell our children that Christmas is about giving not receiving...

BUGGER THAT!!

This is the only time of the year that I refuse to feel guilty about spoiling my loved ones - if I choose to do it in a material manner - isn't that my business?? If my girls receive things during the year (ie toys,games etc)it is generally not from us as we wait for Birthdays and Christmas. Yes,they have alot of unnecessary toys ,clothes and get to have a miniature social life that involves play dates - I attempt to control this to my possible best and always discipline my children. My husband and I work hard (at home and out) so why on earth should this one day - that the kids wait all year for - be kept low key??

Bring on the tree!
Bring on the milk and carrot for Santa and the reindeer's!
Bring on the Barbie that is waiting to be opened!
Bring on the pressies!
Bring on the over-indulgent food..... Whatever it may be that makes your day fun and memorable is Okay with me!!!

We are well aware that half our state is burning and the rest of the country is suffering a crippling drought. I know that global warming is getting so severe that it is rearing its ugly head. I understand the implications of that.I also feel heartbroken when I think of the under- privileged, starving and suffering that goes on. I could go on... We are not oblivious - -We are just going to enjoy our Christmas Day the WAY WE WANT TO! I hope you all do to.

Merry Christmas - stay safe and Happy New Year.

I have to go wrap the Barbie Campervan now........ ( just joking Violet already has one!!! It was found in the hard rubbish ok??????)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, you are something else!!!!! our family never made TOO big of a deal for the holidays- mainly because of finances... but we have fun, enjoy the trees and retro ornaments... for gifts, we try to go berzerk on birthdays since you only have to focus on one person anyhow.... and we have a huge extended family so from the beginning, it was clear that we could not afford to buy every cousin, aunt, uncle, nephew, etc. a gift... we try to keep it intimate and fun.... i like watching the holiday movies and while i dont raise diego to believe in santa, i do read him the stories and we watch all the good movies like miracle on 34th.... i mean, just cuz i wont raise him to believe in santa, doesnt mean i despise the fellow! hehehehe.... and there is so much controversy in that too, eh?! no matters, christmas is for giving and enjoying those you love... no matter if its thru eating a feast, opening gifts, or taking a much needed nap together... there is never a need to feel obligated... after all, as you said, we know what is going on in the world... but we can't deprive ourselves or get bummed about it.... you have it right, sister!!!!

12:46 PM  
Blogger Stomper Girl said...

I love Christmas too. And I want my kids to have the best time. I just wish I didn't have to keep going into shopping malls.

Go wild, you Christmas-lover. I hope your day is fabulous.

3:13 PM  
Blogger LBA said...

Merry Christmas !

I wish someone bought *me* the Barbie Campervan .. I may be a bit less bah-humbug now ;)

11:38 PM  
Blogger Mrs Smith said...

Sing it loud and sing it proud Sister. Christmas is for joy and spoiling and giving and barbie and quite frankly I say F#$% the self righteous wankers who try to spoil it for everyone else.

Everyone has become so busy trying to be 'good' and 'aware' and doing the right thing that they seem to have forgotten about having a great time.

We put out the milk and carrots, put up the christmas tree, hang the advent calender, and the stockings, and give to our children because we want them to have the joy the celebration, the magic . Don't let anyone take it away from them.


Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful davey.

Go crazy and love it.
Merry Christmas.

G and the Smiths

p.s What has poor old barbie done to become so unpopular??
I thought she was a doll - not a freakin' social statement.Can everyone just chillax.

8:46 AM  
Blogger joyflea said...

Yay! The voice of reason. I feel better now!!My head was aching with the guilt of it all, but you've just said what I've been thinking.

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Concrete Contractors Wichita said...

Hi niice reading your blog

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home